We are proud to support Brake. Brake are a road safety charity who raise awareness about the importance of road safety and support victims of road traffic accidents.
Facts about speeding
- Speed is a critical factor in all road crashes and casualties: the faster you drive, the less time you have to stop in an emergency, and the harder you hit
- Fast traffic often makes people afraid to walk or cycle. Lowering traffic speeds to 20mph around shops, schools and houses creates a safer road environment, reducing pedestrian and cyclist casualties by around 40%.
- Speed contributes to over a quarter of fatal crashes in the UK.
- There is a 40% reduction in casualties in 20mph zones.
Tips for cutting your speed down
- Always check your speedometer to make sure you’re under the speed limit
- Take a breath and remember that your safety and that of other road users is the most important thing
- Try to keep a good schedule so there’s no need to speed
Read more about the Brake Pledge
The Brake Pledge includes six main points – Slow, Sober, Secure, Silent, Sharp and Sustainable. To read more about the Brake Pledge click here and use the password brakepledge